Mama Mia! That's No Dark Knight!



I did not plan on seeing “Mama Mia!” Given I am not an ABBA fan, the movie was not on my list. Even thinking on ABBA gives me visions of a cross between the Bee Gee’s (Also not on my greatest hits list) and a few final strands of love beads. In my mind, not a good combination.

At the box office, I attempted to purchase a ticket to “Dark Knight.” I must have looked at the wrong theater for times because it was not playing for another hour. With outside temperatures nearing 100 and a great desire to feed my popcorn addiction, I ended up with a stub for Mama Mia! The only movie just past the preview, commercial and silence your phone stage.

Large, no butter popcorn and water in hand, I expected to have the theater to myself on this late, hot afternoon. I did indeed have my choice of seats but there was a nice gathering of people. I did wonder “Why?” I mean…ABBA?

The opening scene and the lovely voice of Amanda Seyfried (singing a song I thankfully did not know to be ABBA) was encouraging. It only got better.

Greece has and continues to, top my list of places to visit. The light, water, colors and architecture all appeal to my California roots. Every scene in Mamma Mia! Makes my desire to travel to Greece more intense. I envy the people that created this movie. I would be happy to sleep on a bench to wake in such a beautiful country.

Mamma Mia! Is (with one exception) a happy movie. Meryl Streep, in her role as a single Mom raising her Daughter on a remote Greek island, is both fanciful and believable. The island Meryl is radiant and…she can sing.

I really dreaded hearing the ABBA songs I did know. How could “Dancing Queen” be anything other than disco lights and a roller rink? SOS? My plans were to head for the power room on that song. So maybe all the well-known songs were not 100% palatable, (Even in the light of a Greek sun) but I did enjoy “Dancing Queen” among others.

One scene, one song I had never heard made this movie great. “Slipping through my fingers,” had me lost in thoughts of my own Daughter. I tried not to allow a scene and song overwhelm me, but I failed. For all Mom’s that see this film, take a tissue and few deep breaths. When the song is over, realize as Mothers (In our own eyes) we will never achieve perfection. Then look to your children and know it doesn’t matter. There will never be time for everything and it is best to rejoice for the time together. I can’t go back and build the fancy tree house. My Daughter will tell you, the planning, dreaming, scheming and smiles were better. Right Emma?

Slipping Through My Fingers

Sleep in our eyes
Her and me at the breakfast table
Barely awake
I let precious time go by
Then when she's gone
There's that odd melancholy feeling
And a sense of guilt
I can't deny
What happened to the wonderful adventures
The places I had planned for us to go
Well some of that we did
But most we didn't
And why I just don't know

Comments